Monday, April 18, 2016

Social Media: The Age of Documenting Instead of Experiencing

I read an interesting article from The Huffington Post that got me thinking. Every single day I witness people with their phones glued to their hands. I myself am guilty of relying too heavily on my cellular device. 



But, what is the problem here?

People have stopped living life, enjoying moments, and just observing their surroundings. Instead, they have started to document any and everything they do and see.

How many times have you gone to a concert and noticed that majority of the audience have their cell phone out video taping or taking pictures? Maybe you have not noticed because you are one of those people. Very often, everywhere I go, I witness people taking pictures to document moments or to prove that they are doing something interesting and fun yet they are not truly experiencing these moments and making memories.

I wish phones and social media did not have such a hold on my life. I want to remember the feelings associated with my memories, not just remember the pictures. Maybe it is time to put the phone down and actually interact with people.

Just food for thought...

3 comments:

  1. 100% behind you there. I used to be a photo taking whore, if you will excuse the term. Not on my phone, but on a regular camera. I stopped me from enjoying the event I was partaking in. Eventually bringing the camera with me became to cumbersome and I had to learn to stop. I, thank god, never got into the habit of taking hundreds of photos on my phone. There isn't a single memory that I cherish that I have captured on a video or in a picture. That's because I was focused on the moment rather then thinking "omg. I have got to Instagram this!" We need start experiencing the world through our eyes and not our phones. We might forget how to unless we start now. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with both of you guys. My phone is the first thing I touch in the morning when I turn off my alarm, and last thing at night when I set it for the morning. Just the other day I decided to leave my phone in my room to charge while I go to class. Even while I was on my way to class, knowing it was not there, I found myself reaching for it to check the time or if I had any notifications. Even after class I did the exact same thing. I felt stripped being away from my phone. What if something came up? Someone needed to get a hold of me? This experience made me once again realize that I'm way to attached to my phone and sometimes I just need to live my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with both of you guys. My phone is the first thing I touch in the morning when I turn off my alarm, and last thing at night when I set it for the morning. Just the other day I decided to leave my phone in my room to charge while I go to class. Even while I was on my way to class, knowing it was not there, I found myself reaching for it to check the time or if I had any notifications. Even after class I did the exact same thing. I felt stripped being away from my phone. What if something came up? Someone needed to get a hold of me? This experience made me once again realize that I'm way to attached to my phone and sometimes I just need to live my life.

    ReplyDelete