Sunday, May 22, 2016

Social Interaction in Danger...

Many of my friends are coming home from being away at school so I have been trying to spend time with them. While hanging out I noticed how much each one of us was on our phones and I immediately got upset. I love my friends and spending time with them, so why do we each feel the need to be on our phones while interacting/being with each other. I mean, wouldn't we rather talk to the person in front of us instead of worrying about what is transpiring on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.?
Media has completely taken over our lives. I just hope I can wean off of it in order to enjoy the people I am with and the places I am in. Just my random thought for the day....

2 comments:

  1. I know, isn't it sad?! It makes me upset as well. Phones have taken over the world's lives and we have forgotten how to appreciate live interaction. I have really started to focus on this the last year or two, keeping my phone on silent and a couple feet away from me when I am with friends so I am not tempted to look at it. Sure, this makes me forget about my phone and not reply to people but I just tell my friends who are texting me that I was hanging out with other people and not paying attention to my phone. Some of my friends even create a "no phone zone" where we pile our phones on top of each other when we hangout and whoever touches their phone first has to buy food for everyone. We need to start refocusing our lives on where we are and who's around us rather than on a screen and the virtual worlds. I know I just wrote a book in response, but I related well to your blog! Glad you are noticing and upset about this, keep trying to do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have noticed that i do this too. i was out to dinner with my sister the other week, and all we did was look at our phone until our food came. and even when our food came we could put our phones away, we had to have them on the table. i find it hard to ignore when my phone goes off. its like a burning hole in me to go and look at my phone. i also tend to check my phone first thing when i wake up. the same thing every morning. Check Snap chat than Instagram, then time hop then email and finally scroll through Facebook, before i even get out of bed. it is becoming a really bad habit.

    ReplyDelete