Monday, May 2, 2016

Are Commercials Dead?


Thanks to the evolution of television technology, viewers have been able to avoid commercials whenever they want. This change in television consumption has changed the way companies advertise to viewers. More and more we see ad and brand placements by companies in our favorite TV shows and movies in order to get around the fact that people are not watching their ads.
This brings me to an interesting topic I read about on Forbes website. SNL (Saturday Night Live) reported that they will be cutting back on commercials by 30%, but that does not mean NBC will be losing money from its advertisement revenue. The popular comedy show has decided to introduce sponsored content during their running time. If you like SNL you have seen their commercial spoofs making fun of certain companies and now they will add skits starring the comedians which will be product/brand sponsored.




Is SNL onto a new type of marketing technique? Or are they just trying to get rid of the annoying commercials for their viewers?

2 comments:

  1. Giuliana, I for one think commercials are very annoying and I do anything I can to get around them. I don't like to even watch television unless I have my shows or movies recorded because you typically are watching the show for a short period of time before the long and time consuming commercials come back on. I think that SNL is just trying to get rid of the annoying commercials for their views by using this new marketing technique since they are not losing money from its advertisement revenue. I think this is a great thing, and should have been done a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another way they get around the lack of commercial viewing is by making the fast forward and rewind functions during OnDemand views unavailable. But what SNL is doing is actually a really old practice. Characters I popular TV shows would take time out of their comedy in order to talk about a product that the character was using. It happened ALOT on radio shows. They parody this practice in The Truman Show. As long as SNL is able to make this product placement funny then I think they'll be pulling off something amazing. But if it turns into a boring commercial that they are calling "a skit" this will go sour, really quick.

    ReplyDelete